Upload Files to Materials
You can add PDF files, Word documents, PowerPoint presentations, Excel spreadsheets, graphics, audio and video files, and more in the Materials tool.
Please note there is a 100 MB upload limit for the sum of all files you are uploading at one time. If you need to upload a file larger than 100 MB or you have a large number of files to upload, please click the Upload-Download Multiple Materials link at the top of the Materials page for further instructions on setting up a WebDAV connection to your site.
- Go to the desired course site and click Materials in the left navigation bar.
- Click the Add drop-down menu to the right of the folder in which you would like to upload files. If you have not added folders to your site, use the site's root folder.
- From the Add drop-down menu, select Upload Files.
- Click the Browse button (or Choose File button) to select a file to upload.
- Using your computer's file system, select a file and click Open or double-click the file name.
- Optional: Enter a title in the Display Name field if you want something other than the file name to appear in the Materials list.
- Select a Copyright Status designation. If you aren’t sure what selection to make, visit the Stanford Copyright & Fair Use website for helpful information. Check the Copyright Alert box if you would like viewers to be notified of the copyright status.
- Click the Add More Details to Item link in order to add a description or set availability and access options for the file.
- In the Availablity and Access section, you can choose whether to display the file to all members of the site, display to public (available in the Search Sites list on the gateway page), or display to selected groups only.
- If you would like to hide the file from student view, select the radio button next to Hide this item. You can also set specific dates for release and retraction of materials, if desired. (The default setting is to show the file immediately.)
- If you would like to add additional files, click the Add Another File link.
- If you would like to notify all members of the site (or selected groups) that new material has been added, select Normal Priority (some site members may opt not to get these notifications) or High Priority (email will be sent regardless of site members' notification preferences) from the Email Notification drop-down menu. (The default setting for Email Notification is No Notification.)
- When you are finished adding files, click the Upload Files Now button.
- Your file (or files) will now appear in the list of Materials.